The Craig
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sev (Charles Ross)

5 posters

Go down

Sev (Charles Ross) Empty Sev (Charles Ross)

Post  Admin Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:41 pm

Post a review of this show!

Admin
Admin

https://craig.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Sev (Charles Ross) Empty The best thing I've seen so far

Post  Moustache Rack Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:32 am

This is a lovely lovely show. I think, and many would say this is sacrilege, that it's better than One Man Star Wars or One Man Lord of the Rings because it's a more personal story. We see an actor creating rather than imitating and commenting. And it's a lovely story too - sentimental and touching and so so funny. Charles Ross is so talented in his ability to create voices, images and sounds that it brings to life both the real world of Sev and the imaginary world that lives in his head. Go see this one. You won't be disappointed.

Moustache Rack

Back to top Go down

Sev (Charles Ross) Empty awfully fast.

Post  wain Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:03 pm

I liked "Sev", but I also didn't catch about half of it, because Charles Ross talks so fast and changes characters so fast and throws himself into all that sci-fi-fantasy mime so fast that I couldn't process it! I got rather frustrated watching this play. I wanted to understand who everyone was, but the cast wasn't all that distinct, and there were times I didn't know who was speaking, or what the miming was representing. "Sev" is an amusing show, but drink a LOT Of coffee before you see it.

wain

Back to top Go down

Sev (Charles Ross) Empty finally!

Post  ratzel Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:07 am

Finally, everyone gets to see Charlie at his best...not imitating a film series, but being his dynamic, sweet self. I was laughing uncontrollably at times. Ross has such an amazing ability to create realistic dialogue within the confines of a solo show. And his sound effects are a hoot. This was my last fringe show of the year, and I am so glad it was this one.

ratzel

Back to top Go down

Sev (Charles Ross) Empty Sev will be at the Vancouver Fringe

Post  Zeenith Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:42 pm

Once again Charlie Ross shows his talent as an actor and in his ability to portray multiple diverse characters without any props or costumes. Sev is a break from his previous shows - One Man Star Wars and One Man Lord of the Rings - in that it is a (perhaps semi-autobiographical) tale of an over-weight teenage boy with a crush on his best friend, Tina.

The main character, who as far as I could discern was unnamed, takes a summer job at 7-Eleven working alongside Tina with whom he has been friends since Grade 5. In order to escape the hellishness of the Slurpie machine, the 649 machine and various unpleasant customers the boy creates an elaborate fantasy life where he, the noble squire, must protect Princess Severn, the Eleventh from an evil monster, Glorg – aka Aaron, a jerk from his high school who comes to the store to taunt him.

The show is fast paced and sometimes difficult to catch every line. I saw the show twice and got much more out of it the second time. My initial impressions the first time I went were somewhat ho-hum until about half way through when, suddenly jerked back to reality, I realized that I had been completely immersed in a touching story and the dozen-odd characters were being portrayed by a single person with a face as elastic as Jim Carrey’s. My least favourite parts are the fantasy sword fights and I did find the way the copious saliva glistened in the spot lights a bit off-putting but overall I really enjoyed this show.

If Charles Ross keeps this up he will become like his friend and director TJ Dawe, where shows sell out from the first night and no promotion is necessary. Sev is a “should see” (not quite a “must see”) at the Vancouver Fringe; you won’t be disappointed. If you are, then see it again.

Last edited by Zeenith on Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:09 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Zeenith

Back to top Go down

Sev (Charles Ross) Empty Re: Sev (Charles Ross)

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum