The Craig
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lysistrata's War

4 posters

Go down

Lysistrata's War Empty Lysistrata's War

Post  Admin Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Post a review of this show!

Admin
Admin

https://craig.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Lysistrata's War Empty Lysistrata. Good topic.

Post  LJB Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:48 pm

Great voices, lots of talent. I liked the projections on the screen at the beginning. I liked the way they projected back through time from what we do now that's not right, back to the 5th century BC, when we were still doing it, and it still wasn't right - which proves that the means are the ends in the making. Good topic. I missed some of what was sung, because the sound tech probably needed more time to practice (less back-up music, more voice.) But that was the first show...by now they probably have it cleared up. Good show.

LJB

Back to top Go down

Post  Fringe Addict Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:58 pm

This cast has courage and should be commended for attempting this musical.

That said, if I could have left within the first 10 minutes, I would have. Mikes were a problem on opening night, but deciding not to use them was tragic since a good percentage of the cast did not have adequate vocal projection.

The music was repetitive and volumes too loud; the lyrics simplistic (not something the cast could do anything about).

one star for courage

Fringe Addict

Back to top Go down

Post  phoenix49 Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:42 am

Technical problems notwithstanding -- these after all one presumes may be fixed -- the problem I had with this show was two-fold. First it was rather too much "Superstar" lite. Granted the composer is on record as saying that he was very influenced by the Rice/Lloyd-Webber opus but even so, musically several of the scenes were pure JC....and do we really need any more of that? But more importantly what I really missed in this production was the balance of humour and sadness of the original. Artistophanes wrote a comedy as a means of underlining the futility of war; indeed since there appears to be no rational way to end the war, how about an irrational one. Apart from the "Women on top" song...there seemed to be too much darkness and political lecturing but none of the satiric fun that makes the play so outstanding. The cast did the best they could, and in some scenes that wasn't bad at all, but I believe that ultimately Lysistrata's War is only half way there.

phoenix49

Back to top Go down

Lysistrata's War Empty Re: Lysistrata's War

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum