The Craig
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Times Colonist

2 posters

Go down

Times Colonist Empty Times Colonist

Post  ratzel Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:11 pm

Just wanted to make a quick note...mostly to see if anyone out there in Craig land feels the same way I do. At Fringe Festivals artists rely on the local newspaper to review as many shows as possible (many cities review every show...and most cities have festivals with WAY more shows than Victoria.) So what's up with the TC this year? By my count they reviewed 20 shows this year. TWENTY! THis is less than half the shows at this year's Fringe. Many artists I've spoken with have been completely dismayed that Victoria's main daily has not made a better effort to support this vital festival. Shows that "start" in Victoria are also hoping to get some good press to carry over to future festivals (for example, this year's excellent production of Sherlock Holmes travelled all the way from England to break in their new show here.) A reluctance on the part of the local media to help with this might just discourage companies from breaking in their shows here in future. On the flip side, Monday Magazine had reviewers scrambling to see every show that opened over the first weekend, and they even printed reviews from other cities for those shows that arrived late. I appreciate the reviews that the TC did print, but next year, let's hope they get out and see everything.

ratzel

Back to top Go down

Times Colonist Empty Times Colonist

Post  Fringe Addict Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:29 pm

I'm in total agreement.

A letter to the editor of the TC wouldn't hurt.

Fringe Addict

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum